Accessibility links

Breaking News

Live Blog: Trump, Netanyahu Set To Discuss Talks With Iran

Thousands of Iranians are dead or detained in a brutal crackdown after they took to the streets in what is seen as the biggest threat to the Islamic regime in years. Journalists from RFE/RL’s Iranian service, Radio Farda, bring you the latest developments, analysis, and reporting from on the ground.

Key Takeaways:

  • The United States announced new sanctions on Iran's oil exports, targeting 15 entities and 14 shadow fleet vessels as US and Iranian negotiators wrapped up a day of indirect talks in Oman.
  • The total number of reported deaths so far now amounts to 6,961, according to the Hrana human rights organization. The actual number of fatalities is expected to be much higher.
  • Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says he is doing his utmost to prevent tensions between the United States and Iran from escalating into conflict and chaos in the region.
22:11 23.1.2026

Video Emerges Of Bodies In Rasht After Crackdown By Iranian Security Forces

Images of bodies in the northern Iranian city of Rasht have emerged on social media following reports of a massacre by security forces during protests earlier this month. An exiled Iranian human rights attorney who spoke to witnesses inside Iran told RFE/RL that security forces fired at people trapped inside a bazaar. He also said Iranian lawyers were being rounded up as part of a wave of mass arrests and disappearances. More than 5,000 people have been killed in the crackdown, according to the human rights group, HRANA.

Video Emerges Of Bodies In Rasht After Crackdown By Iranian Security Forces Video Emerges Of Bodies In Rasht After Crackdown By Iranian Security Forces
please wait

No media source currently available

0:00 0:01:56 0:00




22:11 23.1.2026

We are now closing the live blog for today. We'll be back again tomorrow morning at 9:30 a.m. Central European time to follow the latest developments in Iran.

09:35 24.1.2026

International Internet To Be Fully Restored Tonight, Says Iranian News Agency

The Fars news agency, which is close to the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC), reported on January 23 that international Internet access would be “fully restored in all provinces of the country” by tonight.

Iran as a whole is now in the third week of a complete Internet shutdown and has been cut off from the outside world.

According to an update published on January 23 by NetBlocks, which tracks Internet outages and censorship worldwide, more “VPN tunnels” from inside Iran to abroad had been established since Friday morning , but Internet speeds remain very low.


10:31 24.1.2026

The US-based human rights organization HRANA has issued an update regarding the situation in Iran. According to its sources, the casualty toll from the recent protests has now risen to 5,137 confirmed deaths with more that 7,400 "severely injured." It also says that the number of deaths still under investigation is 12,904.


10:51 24.1.2026

Footage Emerges Of Protests In Ahvaz

A video dated January 8 has emerged on a Telegram channel that has been sharing footage of the protests in Iran.

It shows security forces firing tear gas toward large crowds of demonstrators at the Fatima Zahra mosque in the Kouy-e Bahonar neighborhood of the city of Ahvaz in southwestern Iran -- a location that has been geoconfirmed by RFE/RL’s Radio Farda. Gunfire can be heard in the background.

The authenticity of the video could not be independently verified. The person who recorded it said the protesters were attempting to set fire to a base operated by the pro-regime Basij militia.

11:39 24.1.2026

The US State Department's Persian-language account on X shared a video this morning of President Donald Trump talking to reporters.

When asked if he thought Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khameini should step down or go into exile, he said 'I don't want to get into that."

"But they know what we're looking for," he added. "There's a lot of killing going on."

He also warned the Islamic republic against seeking to set up other advanced nuclear facilities like those targeted by US strikes in Operation Midnight Hammer in June.


15:55 24.1.2026

Teachers Council Publishes List Of Dozens Of Schoolchildren Killed In Crackdown

The Coordinating Council of Teachers’ Trade Associations, an umbrella body of independent teachers’ unions in Iran, has published the names of at least 29 schoolchildren in a list of students its says were killed in the recent crackdown on protests.

The council says it published the names and images of these children on January 24 based on reports from trusted networks and reliable sources, and that the list will be updated gradually.

Previously, some human rights sources, including the US-based HRANA group, said they have managed to confirm the deaths of more than 5,000 people -- including at least 54 children (under the age of 18) -- and that they are still investigating the deaths of nearly 13,000 others.

16:22 24.1.2026

Netblocks, a digital rights watchdog and connectivity monitoring organization, says that Iran's Internet blackout is continuing, despite a "brief momentary restoration."

Earlier on January 24, a state-affiliated Iranian news agency said that the country's Internet would be "fully restored" by tonight.

As of January 24, Iran’s near-total nationwide digital blackout -- ongoing since January 8 -- is one of the longest in recent history. Only Sudan’s complete shutdown following its October 2021 coup, which lasted about 25 days, is currently known to have lasted longer.


20:22 24.1.2026

Friends Remember A Vibrant University Student Killed During Protest In Tehran

Zahra Bahlolipour, a 23-year-old student in Tehran, was fatally shot by security forces during a protest against Iran's authoritarian regime on January 8. Her university classmates have been posting tributes to a beloved friend known as Raha. Bahlolipour is among more than 5,000 victims reported killed in the state crackdown on the protest movement, but the full scale of the violence has yet to come to light.

Friends Remember A Vibrant University Student Killed During Protest In Tehran Friends Remember A Vibrant University Student Killed During Protest In Tehran
please wait

No media source currently available

0:00 0:01:06 0:00
09:59 25.1.2026

More Than 30,000 People May Have Been Killed In Iran Protests, Says Time Magazine

A video grab taken on January 14 from UGC images posted on social media the previous day shows dozens of bodies lying on the ground at a Tehran medical facility as grieving relatives search for their loved ones.
A video grab taken on January 14 from UGC images posted on social media the previous day shows dozens of bodies lying on the ground at a Tehran medical facility as grieving relatives search for their loved ones.

The Iran protest death toll may surpass more than 30,000 people, according to two senior Iranian health officials who spoke to Time magazine.

The report, published on January 25, says the majority of deaths occurred during January 8–9, when the government’s crackdown on nationwide protests reached its peak. Due to intense censorship and a prolonged Internet shutdown, the information could not be independently verified.

The reported figure sharply contradicts the official death toll of 3,117 announced by Iran’s Supreme National Security Council earlier this week, but aligns more closely with international estimates.

The United Nations has suggested significantly higher casualties, and Mai Sato, the UN special rapporteur on human rights in Iran, said on January 22 the number of civilians killed in the crackdown could surpass 20,000 as reports from doctors surface.. Amnesty International has described the killings as being on an “unprecedented scale,” citing live fire, metal pellets, and the obstruction of access to medical care.

According to Time, the scale of deaths during those two days -- following a call by former crown prince Reza Pahlavi urging people to join the protests -- overwhelmed state resources. Officials reportedly ran out of body bags, ambulances were unable to transport the dead, and authorities resorted to using 18-wheel trucks.

These estimates reportedly align with hospital data reviewed by Dr. Amir Parasta, a German-Iranian eye surgeon. According to him, a count gathered by physicians and first responders shows at least 30,304 deaths as of January 23, a figure he cautioned remains incomplete.

Load more

XS
SM
MD
LG