RFE/RL's Armenian Service has been a consistent and dependable provider of independent information in Armenia for over 50 years. Today, it is a trusted source of information and regularly cited and reprinted by local media.
Thousands of ethnic Armenians fleeing Nagorno-Karabakh are clogging roads leading to Armenia, where unrest over a bruising defeat to Azerbaijan in the breakaway region last week is growing, with dozens of protesters detained in the capital, Yerevan.
An adviser to the breakaway leadership in Nagorno-Karabakh thrashed by a lightning Azerbaijani offensive this week says virtually all of the territory's ethnic Armenians will leave for Armenia in a bitter exodus from "our historic lands."
Armenian activists without political affiliations marched on September 23 in the streets of the capital, Yerevan, urging solidarity with ethnic Armenians in the breakaway Azerbaijani region of Nagorno-Karabakh. Days ago, Baku launched a military offensive against the Karabakh Armenian separatists.
Nagorno-Karabakh‘s ethnic Armenian separatist leaders on September 23 said they are implementing the terms of a cease-fire agreement made three days earlier with Azerbaijani officials, including evacuations of injured civilians to Armenia.
Hundreds of demonstrators called for the embattled Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinian to be ousted for what they call inadequate government support for ethnic Armenians in Nagorno-Karabakh, an Azerbaijani territory that has a large ethnic Armenian population.
Students continued to protest in the Armenian capital, Yerevan, following Azerbaijan's military assault on ethnic-Armenian inhabited areas of Nagorno-Karabakh on September 19. Hundreds of protesters gathered outside government buildings, calling for Prime Minister Nikol Pashinian to resign.
More than 80 people have been detained as anti-government protests continued in the Armenian capital on September 22.
Tensions remained high in central Yerevan on September 21 as government opponents gathered to protest against what they say was inadequate support for ethnic Armenians in the breakaway Azerbaijani region of Nagorno-Karabakh.
Thousands of ethnic Armenians gathered at Nagorno-Karabakh's only airport where Russian peacekeepers are based. They were seeking protection and possible transit to Armenia following two days of fighting in the disputed territory and the apparent surrender of separatist forces.
Ethnic Armenians describe panic and sounds of gunfire in the de facto capital of Nagorno-Karabakh, Stepanakert, amid a tense cease-fire and talks between separatist leaders and Azerbaijan. The breakaway region's leaders surrendered following an attack on September 19 by Azerbaijan's military.
Representatives of Azerbaijan and the ethnic Armenian leadership of the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh have begun "reintegration" talks in the western Azerbaijani city of Yevlax on September 21.
Ethnic Armenians in Nagorno-Karabakh say they have agreed to a Russian-brokered cease-fire after Azerbaijan launched a fresh offensive in the region. Under the terms of the deal, ethnic Armenians said they had agreed to discuss demilitarization and the region's reintegration into Azerbaijan.
Protests broke out in the Armenian capital, Yerevan, after Azerbaijan launched a military assault on ethnic-Armenian inhabited areas of Nagorno-Karabakh on September 19. Angry crowds gathered outside government buildings, calling for Prime Minister Nikol Pashinian to resign, and clashed with police.
Azerbaijan on September 19 said it had launched an "anti-terrorist operation" in Nagorno-Karabakh following recent clashes and a monthslong blockade. The de facto human rights ombudsman in the ethnic Armenian-controlled Azerbaijani region said that two civilians had been killed and 23 wounded.
After weeks of bloody clashes and a blockade of Nagorno-Karabakh, Azerbaijan said it had launched an "anti-terrorist operation," a major escalation in hostilities with Armenia as the breakaway region teeters on the brink of a humanitarian crisis after being blockaded for more than eight months.
Vital supplies were delivered on September 18 to Nagorno-Karabakh, the mainly ethnic Armenian breakaway region of Azerbaijan that has effectively been cut off from the outside world for months now.
Ethnic-Armenian authorities of Azerbaijan's breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh have agreed on procedures for two simultaneous routes of delivery of Russian-provided humanitarian aid, the International Committee of the Red Cross and separatist leaders said on September 17.
Prime Minister Nikol Pashinian’s Civil Contract party lost its overwhelming majority in Yerevan’s municipal assembly as a result of local elections on September 17 marked by record-low turnout.
Armenia's foreign minister on September 13 said his country has received "new proposals" on a potential peace deal from bitter rival Baku, hours after his Azerbaijani counterpart said Baku was prepared to allow the Red Cross to transport humanitarian aid into Nagorno-Karabakh on a regular basis.
Officials in the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh said a Russian truck carrying humanitarian aid arrived on September 12 in the region via territory controlled by Azerbaijan, the first time such a crossing has been allowed in more than three decades.
Load more